JOIN ECPN LISTSERVE
From the time when it was established in 1994, one of the most important contributions of the Early Career Preventionist Network was to provide an interactive listserve for members to communicate and exchange important information. Members of the listserve post information about upcoming conferences, employment and training opportunities. In addition, individuals often posted questions and the membership, which is made up of early career, mid-level and senior scientists, would reply. Sometimes only a few people provided responses but on a few occasions many people would become involved and the exchange of ideas would continue for several days resulting in a very interesting web-based conversation.
ECPN is now a formal standing committee of SPR and most individuals belong to both organizations. Much of the general information regarding conferences, employment and training opportunities that would have been posted on the ECPN listserve is now included in the member only SPR E-Bulletin. The Steering Committee of ECPN is concerned that an important benefit of the ECPN listserve is being underutilized. It is providing this reminder to members in order to re-energize this function.
Listserves are useful tools but they can also become burdensome and frustrating to their members if they are used carelessly.
A. Appropriate Topics
The following are examples of appropriate topics, not an exhaustive list.
- Employment Opportunities
- Conferences and Training Opportunities
- Special issues of journals
- New books or reports on prevention
- Potential Collaborators
- Conference submissions
- Research projects
- General Questions about Prevention Research
B. General Guidelines for Posting
- Remember that this message is being sent to several hundred people. Make sure that the information or the question is appropriate for the entire membership.
- If an exchange becomes more personal or specific then continue it using regular email.
- Only use the reply function in your email if you want the entire listserve to read your response.
C. Procedure for Posting
- Send your email message to ECPN@preventionresearch.org
- If your positing is only informational consider also posting it in the SPR E-Bulletin by sending it to Jennifer Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To subscribe to the list, go to
http://mail.preventionresearch.org/mailman/listinfo/ecpn_preventionresearch.org and follow instructions.
To have your approval process completed, please copy & paste your responses to the “ECPN Listserve Core Database Information Form” into your email to Jennifer Lewis, Executive Director (email@example.com), and cc SPR Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org)